9:00 - 17:30

Business hours Mon. - Fri.

Saturdays by appointment only

  • English
  • Español

Returning Resident Visas for Lawful Residents

J. Molina Law Firm PLLC > Post English  > Returning Resident Visas for Lawful Residents

Returning Resident Visas for Lawful Residents

If you are a permanent or conditional resident who has spent more than a year outside the United States, you will need a new immigrant visa to be able to return. United States law requires that permanent residents cannot stay outside the United States for more than one year. If they stay outside of the United States for more than a year, they will automatically lose their legal permanent resident status. To re-enter as residents, they must obtain a special immigrant visa called SB-1.

If you were unable to return to the country in the time allowed by some type of emergency out of your hands and you qualify for an SB-1 visa. J. Molina Law Firm will help you in this process.

How do I know if I qualify for an SB-1 Immigrant Resident Visa?

The applicant must demonstrate the following:

  • You were a lawful permanent resident when you left the United States.
  • At the time of your departure from the United States, you intended to return to that country as a resident, and you continue to maintain the same intention.
  • You are returning to the United States after a temporary trip abroad, and if this trip was extended it was for reasons beyond your control for which you are not responsible.

How can I apply for an SB-1 Immigrant Visa?

  • If you want to apply, contact J. Molina Law Firm and we will help you throughout the process.
  • The requirements to complete your SB-1 Visa application are:
  • Your permanent residence card, form I-551
  • Your re-entry permit

You must also send supporting documents that demonstrate the following:

  • Dates of travel outside the United States (Examples: airline tickets, passport stamps, etc.)
  • Proof of your ties to the United States and your intention to return (Examples: tax returns and evidence of economic, family, and social ties to the United States)
  • Proof that your stay outside the United States was for reasons beyond your control (Examples: medical incapacity, employment in a United States company, etc.)

Immigrant visa application and documentation

J. Molina Law Firm will provide you with specific instructions for the Returning Resident Immigrant Visa (SB-1) process. Before your interview you will be given instructions for your medical exam, including a list of required vaccinations.
J.Molina Law Firm will prepare you for your interview, including the list of documents that you must present.