9:00 - 17:30

Business hours Mon. - Fri.

Saturdays by appointment only

  • English
  • Español

How To Get a Green Card in the United States

J. Molina Law Firm PLLC > Post English  > How To Get a Green Card in the United States

How To Get a Green Card in the United States

Adjustment of Status is the process to get a green card in the United States. It is one of the most common immigration processes. This process allows a person to change their immigration status, whatever it is, to a lawful permanent resident status.

If you are in the United States and eligible for this process, filing for Adjustment of Status with Form I-485 is the path to get your Green Card. With a Green Card you can remain in the United States as a legal permanent resident. As a permanent resident you can legally work in the United States. There is a variety of ways you can apply for a Green Card through Adjustment of Status. 

Green Cards are not exclusive for applicants through family but are also available for those looking to adjust status through employment, as a special immigrant, through refugee or asylee status, as a human trafficking victim or crime victim, for victims of abuse, through registry, and other categories. You can check the USCIS website for more information. How long the process to Adjust your Status takes, depends on the category through which you apply for a Green Card. 

Depending on the category you’re applying for, the steps on your Adjustment of Status case may vary, but the main steps are as follows: 

  1. Confirm you’re eligible for a Green Card. 

  2. If applicable, someone else must file an immigrant petition for you or have an approved immigration petition. 

  3. Have an immigrant visa immediately available for you.

  4. Fill out and file Form I-485 with the correct supporting evidence and filing fee.

  5. Complete your biometrics when requested by USCIS. 

  6. You can check your case status online with your receipt number. 

  7. Attend your Adjustment of Status interview, if requested by USCIS. 

  8. Wait for your case’s resolution. 


One very important detail to be eligible for this process is to make sure you’re not currently inadmissible to Adjust your Status in the U.S.! You can learn more about what can make you inadmissible in our previous article 

If you suspect you may be inadmissible for any reason, please feel free to reach out to us. You can schedule a confidential consultation with our expert immigration attorney. You can also call us at 469-708-5800 to help you. Start your process today, give us a call!