9:00 - 17:30

Business hours Mon. - Fri.

Saturdays by appointment only

  • English
  • Español

Effective Steps for Consular Processing

J. Molina Law Firm PLLC > Post English  > Effective Steps for Consular Processing

Effective Steps for Consular Processing

In a previous article, we explained what you need to do to get your Green Card if you’re in the U.S. today, we tell you about the Consular Process. 

Consular Processing is the process you follow if you reside outside the U.S. once you have an immigrant petition approved, and an immigrant or nonimmigrant visa is immediately available to you.  

Follow these steps to apply for an immigrant or nonimmigrant visa at an U.S. Consulate or Embassy in your home country: 

  1. Make sure you’re eligible. Whether you’re applying for a Green Card through a family member or a visa through an employer, your first step is to make sure that you are eligible for such benefit, and that your visa category is up-to-date to process your case. 
  2. File your immigration request and wait for decision. USCIS will let you know the outcome of your case. To move forward, your application must be approved. 
  3. Be contacted by the National Visa Center. The NVC will notify you once the petition is received, and again when an immigrant or nonimmigrant visa is available and give you the steps to follow.  
  4. Attend your interview. You will be scheduled by the consular office for an interview to determine if you are eligible for an immigrant or nonimmigrant visa. 
  5. Notify NVC about any changes. You do not need to contact the NVC at all times – they will contact you. But if you change your address, if you reach 21 years old, or change your marital status, you should let them know. 
  6. Once your visa is granted, you will receive a packet from the Consulate or Embassy. You will give this unopened packet to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection at your port of entry.  
  7. If the CBP officer admits you, you then have the status shown in your entry visa.  
  8. Receive your Green Card if you entered with an immigrant visa! Once you’re in, you will have to wait a little to receive your Green Card via mail from USCIS. 

The J. Molina Law Firm is very experienced with the consular process and can help you achieve your goals even if you live outside the United States. We are always working towards achieving our clients’ goals while protecting their interests. If you are outside the U.S. and would like to know more about the Consular Process and how to proceed with your case, you can count on us.  

Call us at 469-708-5800 or schedule your meeting – we would be thrilled to help you. Call today!