9:00 - 17:30

Business hours Mon. - Fri.

Saturdays by appointment only

  • English
  • Español

Author: Maria Centeno

J. Molina Law Firm PLLC > Articles posted by Maria Centeno

What Is Inadmissibility? What Makes Me Inadmissible?

[vc_row triangle_shape="no"][vc_column][vc_column_text]When we first meet most of our clients, we often find ourselves explaining what an inadmissibility is. In short, inadmissibility is something that makes a person not allowed into to the United States, or allowed to adjust their status in the U.S. In some cases, even if you did something that would make you inadmissible you would fall within an exception to the general rules. In some other cases, if you are inadmissible, you may request a waiver to fix the problem that made you inadmissible. There are certain categories of inadmissibility that allows you to get a waiver, a...

Continue reading

I Have a Past Conviction, What Can I Do?

[vc_row triangle_shape="no"][vc_column][vc_column_text]As we mentioned in a previous article, having past convictions isn’t the end of your immigration process, nor that you are necessarily ineligible for an immigration benefit. At the J. Molina Law Firm, we take an in-depth look at the details of your case, and we make sure that during our first meeting we develop a strategy that takes into consideration your entire history. If we cannot help you, we let you know immediately. So, you have been convicted of a crime- now what? In any case, the first step is to make sure you’re eligible to apply for a...

Continue reading

Past Convictions and Residence

[vc_row triangle_shape="no"][vc_column][vc_column_text]The Adjustment of Status is one of the most common immigration processes in the United States, since this is one of the processes that can be done to achieve Permanent Residence. Often many people are surprised at how complicated an Adjustment of Status case can be to achieve their Legal Permanent Residence card (also known as Green Card). In those cases in particular, it is where our experience and skills make a difference. If your child or your parent have obtained a residence through marriage or has lived in the U.S. enough time to obtain citizenship, they can petition you...

Continue reading

Meet Our Paperless Office

[vc_row triangle_shape="no"][vc_column][vc_column_text]Serving our clients is not only our mission, but our passion. The J. Molina Law Firm strives to provide excellent legal services with prompt competence, and we are constantly looking for the best ways to serve our clients. A key ingredient to our ability to deliver outstanding services quickly is our commitment to using technology to ease and automate operations. We are proud to be a “paperless office” because it makes our work more productive, and it reduces costs for our clients.    We use our secure internal policies and technology so you can work on your case at your own pace and when it’s most convenient for you - from anywhere in the world! This working method and...

Continue reading

2021 DACA Updates

[vc_row triangle_shape="no"][vc_column][vc_column_text]Recently there have been updates on the DACA program that has a direct effect on DACA recipients and the program. On July 16, Federal District Judge Andrew Hanen decided that the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) violated the law because of the way the DACA program was created.  He stated that back in 2012, the Administrative Procedure Act (APA) was violated when DHS created the DACA program by exceeding the power that Congress had provided this executive branch when DHS did not follow standard procedure by going through notice and commenting rulemaking under the APA.   As of right now, the following are the most relevant points...

Continue reading

Differences Between a Green Card and a Citizenship

[vc_row triangle_shape="no"][vc_column][vc_column_text]Sometimes, there can be uncertainty after achieving a goal. After becoming a green card holder, or legal permanent resident, you must wait 5 years (3 years, if you are married to a US citizen) to apply for a US citizenship. The process is called naturalization, and you can apply with form N-400 to get your US citizenship if you meet every requirement.[/vc_column_text][vc_empty_space height="10px"][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row triangle_shape="no"][vc_column][vc_column_text] Often we focus on how to achieve a goal without fully understanding the benefits of achieving the goal. In past posts, we have focused on how and when you can apply for U.S. citizenship. We have explained the naturalization process and...

Continue reading

Effective Steps for Consular Processing

[vc_row triangle_shape="no"][vc_column][vc_column_text]In a previous article, we explained what you need to do to get your Green Card if you’re in the U.S. today, we tell you about the Consular Process. [/vc_column_text][vc_empty_space height="10px"][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row triangle_shape="no"][vc_column][vc_column_text] Consular Processing is the process you follow if you reside outside the U.S. once you have an immigrant petition approved, and an immigrant or nonimmigrant visa is immediately available to you.   Follow these steps to apply for an immigrant or nonimmigrant visa at an U.S. Consulate or Embassy in your home country:  Make sure you’re eligible. Whether you’re applying for a Green Card through a family member or a visa through an employer, your first step is to make sure that you are eligible for such benefit, and that your visa category is up-to-date to process your case.  File your immigration request and wait for a decision. USCIS...

Continue reading

Adjustment of Status: Why Do I Need It

[vc_row triangle_shape="no"][vc_column][vc_column_text]Are you in the United States and have recently received the approval on your Family Petition? Perhaps your fiancé is coming to the United States with his K1 Visa approved and you are getting married soon; or you’ve found an amazing job and your boss wants to sponsor you! If that’s so, then you are in need of an Adjustment of Status.  [/vc_column_text][vc_empty_space height="10px"][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row triangle_shape="no"][vc_column][vc_column_text] It is very important to be able to have a legal status in the U.S., and the Green Card is possibly one of the most sought-after immigration processes. The Adjustment of Status is the process you need to request a Green Card if...

Continue reading

Venezuelans: Temporary Protected Status is Here

[vc_row triangle_shape="no"][vc_column][vc_column_text]The Temporary Protected Status, best known as TPS, is a temporary immigration status created by Congress in the Immigration Act of 1990, and it is given to people from specific countries that are going through complicated situations. These countries could have been selected because they have ongoing armed conflicts, environmental disasters, or extraordinary conditions that prove to be a threat against people and a good quality of life. [/vc_column_text][vc_empty_space height="10px"][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row triangle_shape="no"][vc_column][vc_column_text] TPS has been the right step and solution for people who, already in the US, cannot go home due to the unsafety of their home country, making departure or deportation unjustified. While being on a temporary immigration status, TPS provides a work permit and stay of deportation.    How to know if you are eligible...

Continue reading

A Complete Guide To Filing a Family Petition

[vc_row triangle_shape="no"][vc_column][vc_column_text]Making the decision to start an immigration process is an important step in anyone’s life, so it’s just as important to be as informed as possible on what you need so you can be ready before you start a case. If you have been asking yourself how to proceed into filing a Form I-130, best known as Family Petition, we tell you more about it here. [/vc_column_text][vc_empty_space height="10px"][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row triangle_shape="no"][vc_column][vc_column_text] What is a Family Petition and do I need it?  Usually form I-130 must be filed in order to petition a relative. There are different categories, depending mostly on the person you want to petition. If this person, referred to as Beneficiary, is an immediate relative (spouse, or minor...

Continue reading